Becky Dalke and Associates' Blog
Are your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors up to date? Whether you are thinking of selling your home or not, now is a great time to investigate those safety features in your home. As of December 1st,2016-Massachusetts updated the requirements for smoke and CO2 detectors. The changes only apply to one and two-family residences built before January 1, 1975 that have not been substantially altered.
Homes built prior to 1975 MUST be equipped with a smokedetector with a 10-year life span. These detectors are sold as 10 year sealed lithium battery power smoke alarms and canbe purchased at local hardware stores. Also remember that current rules require photoelectric detectors covering the area within 20 feet of a kitchen or bathroom containing a bathtub or shower. The 10 year sealed detectors are sold with both photoelectric and the older ionization technologies
1975 was the date chosen for these new requirements because homes built after this dated were already required by state building code to have hard wired power supplies for smoke detectors. But it is also important to note that hard wired detectors also have a battery back-up that should also be replaced every 10 years. Details on the new requirements can be found by clicking HERE
Roses are the favored flowers for Valentine’s Day. They are spectacular flowers, wildly colorful and fabulously fragrant, yet very delicate. Few people know the secret to extending the bloom time of this magnificent flower. Once you know the steps to follow when working with roses then you will enjoy them for a week or more.
- When purchasing roses look for ones that have very tight buds that have not yet begun to open.
- If you buy them from the store be sure to cover them well when bringing them from the store to the car. By tying a bag over the blossoms you will protect them from the winter cold which can damage them instantly
- Once you have them home place them in cool water. Cut the stems at a diagonal, under water. They should be cut at least 2” up from the bottom. The diagonal cut allows for more water absorption.
- If the floral supplier did not give you a packet of floral food to add to the water then add in a couple teaspoons of sugar.
- Remove the outside 3 petals from each flower. I am not certain why it is but this helps the flower to create a larger bloom. (For a romantic treat you can add these petals to a steaming bubble bath).
The first“First Night” festival took place in Boston back in 1976, organized by a small group of artists who wanted a way to celebrate the new year by staging indoor and outdoor performances in an alcohol-free environment. The event was a success, and the “First Night” movement soon caught on and spread to dozens of other cities. If you are trying to plan a fun festive night out, here is a sampling of the FUN happenings in our area or just a short drive away:
Becky Dalke & Associates would like to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2017!!